How to Grow 8 Awesome Herbs Indoors All Year Long
Growing herbs indoors is a great way to expand your gardening space. Whether you’re growing herbs indoors because of the season or because you’ve outgrown your garden, you’ll love have them close at hand. I have found that not all herbs do well growing in the house; but these 8 seem to consistently do well and keep me in herbs all year long! I like being able to snip off some fresh herbs for recipes without leaving my kitchen! I love having plants indoors and the herbs are a great addition to my Pothos plants and ferns. Growing herbs indoors, like all indoor plants, has great health benefits too! Indoor plants help keep our indoor air clean and so much more!
Herbs Indoors – Tips to Get You Started:
To grow herbs indoors you don’t need special equipment but there are a few things that will make it easier on you, and them.
- Choose an area that gets a fair amount of sun. Even herbs that do well in low light will appreciate a warm sunny area to grow in. This can be a window sill or you can use plant stands near a sliding glass door.
- Try to keep your temps as consistent as possible. If you have huge fluctuations in temps the plants may struggle more than in a consistent environment.
- Don’t put them where they will get direct contact with your air vents for heat or a/c. I have found this dries them out very quickly and they usually don’t make it. However many of the plants like the air circulation of a ceiling fan.
- Choose containers that will hold at least a gallon of soil and make sure it allows water to drain out. You’ll want to protect any area you put your plants, just in case.
- Consider growing from seed. I find the herbs that germinate and start their life in the area of the house I plant to keep them just do better than transplants from outdoors. That’s not to say you can’t grow transplants, but I have had more success when I start with good quality seeds. And grow more than you need – so you can choose the strongest; if they all do well you can share with a friend.