Once you start making your own extracts you’ll never go back to store-bought. Today I’ll show you Organic DIY Lemon Extract – how to make your own organic extract at home; you won’t believe how easy it is! Only 2 ingredients and you’re going to save money making it versus buying the store bought stuff.
If you’re lucky enough to have neighbors with lemon trees (lots of them here in Phoenix), they are usually happy to have you come pick some for them. Last week my neighbor put out a big box of lemons with some grocery bags and a sign that said ‘Please Take Some’.
I love lemon extract in baking (lemon poppy seed muffins!!!!). And any time you need a kick of lemon flavor, 1 teaspoon of extract equals about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (peel). But did you know that Organic DIY Lemon Extract has health benefits as well? Check out this article from Livestrong.com.
Organic DIY Lemon Extract
Pure (zero crap), lots of flavor AND health benefits! Let’s make some!
Ingredients for Organic DIY Lemon Extract
3 – 4 Organic Lemons (if they are large you’ll only need 3)
1/2 cup of vodka
Zester or Grater
Canning jar with lid
Clean, sterile, bottles for storing (like this)
Instructions for Organic DIY Lemon Extract
- Wash your lemons and pat dry
- Zest the lemon peels
- Put your peels in your canning jar
- Pour vodka over the peels and secure lid
- Store in cool place without a lot of light (I use the top of my pantry)
- Give the jar a shake every 2 – 3 days
- Allow the mixture to steep for 6 – 8 weeks for full flavor
- Once completed strain the zest out and put into your sterile storing bottles.
- Best if kept in fridge but you can keep it in a cool cabinet.
- USE IT!
Can you believe that’s all it takes for yummy, pure organic lemon extract? You’ll have enough to last a long time too; at a fraction of store prices.
Never miss a post ~ Sign up for the Imperfectly Happy Newsletter