I love a beard…well not on me, but you know what I mean. But a well-maintained beard is even better!
So What is Beard Balm?
Beard balm is a conditioner that will help to soften and style a beard as well as moisturize the skin underneath. Balm is the bomb. It has gained a lot of popularity with the beard coming back into style (I wasn’t aware it went out of style). Of course whenever anything gets popular it also seems to get expensive. Some beard balms can go for as much as $30 for a 3 oz canister. So how can you make your own beard balm with only 3 awesome ingredients? I’m so glad you asked…
Make Your Own Beard Balm
- 1.5 ounces of Beeswax – I like this organic bar
Beeswax is going to give you control over your unruly beard and give it some style.
- 1.5 ounces of Mango Butter – I like this one from Better Butters
Great for softening the hairs and moisturizing the skin
- 5 teaspoons of Sweet Almond Oil – like this one
It is said that sweet almond oil can help with beard growth as well as condition
- Melt your Beeswax in a double boiler or similar
- Add your Mango Butter into the beeswax and allow that to melt completely
- Add your Sweet Almond Oil
- Mix gently
- Remove from heat
- Allow it to cool for about 5 minutes
- Put into your container and let it cool completely before use.
- Feel free to add 8 – 10 drops of essential oils in too. I like to add frankincense because it is great for the skin.
If I am making this for my husband I just use a 4 oz canning jar (this recipe will fill it). But if I’m making these for gifts then I like to put them in these use little tins (this recipe will fill 2). You can double or even triple this recipe if you want to make gifts for all the guys in your life.
This is all shelf-stable materials and should last you quite a long time.
Are you a beard enthusiast who just can’t get enough? Check out these sites, with the beard lover in mind. 😉
The Beard Institute – classic grooming tips for the beard wearer.
All About Beards – everything you ever wanted to know about beards.